What is slime?
Slime is a kind if the thick substance that is neither a liquid nor a solid. It is basically meant for entertaining kids. However, it’s sticky nature makes it easier to be molded into different shapes and colors.
Households without slime may sometimes be less fun for children. Some kids love playing with slime a lot. But it is quite unfortunate that when slime drops on a carpet and dries out, it becomes so much a problem to clean. There are not so many popular ways to get rid of the mess off carpets. Some parents have tried different methods and that failed. Some parents used the washing machine, but this method only messed them up the more. The washing machine method is not a good idea as it can only worsen the situation. You will end up getting it in a bunch of other stuff. When you find out your kid has made slime fall on the carpet, you should not be worried. In fact, you should not think getting a new one is the next solution. This article features different ways in which you can get slime cleaned off your carpet without stress.
Vinegar + Water method of getting slime out of carpet
One of the simplest methods of getting slime out of carpet is the use of vinegar and water. The basic function of the vinegar is to melt off the slime while the water washes it away. Regardless of how much your kid loves slime, you are going to get a very quick and stress-free method of getting rid of slime with vinegar and water.
- The first thing to do is to remove as much as possible slime. If the slime is still wet, you can use your hand to remove them. But if it is dry, use a spoon or a knife to scrape the slime from the center and extend the scrapping to the edges.
- After you might have removed it manually, use a carpet cleaner or vacuum at every possible direction to get rid of the excess lime on the spot. However, you be sure that the slime is dry before using the vacuum. The effect of using a vacuum on a wet slime is severe. It may end up clogging your vacuum if it is still wet.
- Then, pick a suitable cleaning solution you will use to remove the excess slime on the carpet. Vinegar is the most popular and most preferred option. Mix a solution of 75% of vinegar and 25% of water in a spray bottle. Shake the solution very well. This is to ensure that the solution mixes well together. Spray the mixture on the exact spot of the lime. Allow the solution be there for a few minutes. Or until you notice the slime is dissolving already.
- Blot the slime by using a paper towel, then remove it. Spray the solution again and wait for a few minutes to remove any slime that remains on the carpet.
WD40 + Rubbing Alcohol Method
A solution of rubbing alcohol and WD40 bas also proved to be a great solution when considering how to get the slime off your carpet. The technique is employed where the vinegar-water mixture is not effective. Vinegar and lukewarm water may not clean your carpet as much as you want it. Most especially, this happens when the carpet is old and stubborn. In that case, a solution of WD40 and rubbing alcohol becomes the next solution.
The steps involved are:
- Get a spoon or knife and gently scrape the affected area. If you are gentle about the scraping, the slime may spread and create a bigger stain.
- If the slime is old and dry, a little more force may be needed to remove the slime.
- Take a couple of ice cubes and put on affected areas.
- Let the cubes sit on the affected spot until the slime freezes.
- Allow the freezing take up to 10-15 minutes.
- Once the slime is frozen, you can easily scrape it.
- Then, employ the use of a vacuum cleaner to collect every small piece from the surface.
Hydrogen Peroxide + Water
Hydrogen peroxide and water solution is another way to get slime out of your carpet without stress.
- If the slime is dry already, use your hand to scrape as many as possible slime off the carpet.
- If there are excesses remaining, use a spoon to scrape and scoop up the excesses. Make sure you start from the edge towards the center of the affected region.
- Use a vacuum to blot up the excess.
- After this step, take three tablespoons of lukewarm water and one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide.
- Mix them together in a spray bottle.
- Apply the solution to the affected region and allow to stay for 30 minutes.
- After applying the solution, cover the stain with a thick towel to prevent light from reaching it. Light attacks peroxide and changes its chemical properties.
- Make sure you check on the stain periodically and watch out for loss of color.
- Use warm water to rinse the carpet without soaking it.
- Blot up the small pieces if any remains on the carpet.
Most slimes naturally glitter. If your stain is from a glittering slime, it may be too hard to remove. After you have removed the stain, wait until the spot dries out. Use a vacuum on the spot for a couple of times to get the slime out completely. You can also use some sticky tape. Pat the stained area with the sticky side of the two. Repeat the procedure repeatedly until there’s no more glitter of the slime on the carpet.
From the procedures outlined above, it is now clear that removing slime from your carpet is not a tricky job. The steps involved are easy, and anyone can do it. Let your kids play with lime as much as they want that. Do not be stressed out thinking of how to get rid of slime from your carpet.